Bubble and Squeak Croquettes
In some families, the post-Christmas bubble and squeak is as much a tradition as the Christmas Day dinner. But if you haven’t perfected your own recipe yet, try ours on for size. This recipe makes 10 Bubble and Squeak Croquettes, a bite-sized twist on the Boxing Day classic.
Ingredients (Makes 10)
- 400g potatoes
- 2 Shallots
- 1 garlic cloves
- 1/2 tsp dried sage
- 200g leftover cooked green vegetables, such as sprouts, spring greens or kale
- 40g cheddar cheese
- 6 Tbsp flour, split in half
- 60g panko
- 1 eggs
- Vegetable oil to fry
Method (Cook time 1hr 15 plus 30-60 minutes chilling time)
- Boil a kettle. Peel the potatoes and chop them into small, bite-sized pieces
- Add the chopped potatoes to a pot with plenty of boiled water and a generous pinch of salt and bring to the boil over a high heat. Once boiling, reduce the heat to medium and cook for 12-15 min or until fork-tender. Once done, drain and return to the pot to steam dry. Mash the drained potatoes with a knob of butter and a very generous pinch of salt and pepper
- Peel and finely chop the garlic and shallot. Grate the cheddar.
- Heat a large, wide-based pan (preferably non-stick) with a generous drizzle of vegetable oil over a medium heat Add the chopped garlic, dried sage, and the chopped shallot to the pan and cook for 3-4 min.
- Roughly chop the green vegetables until they are in approximately 1cm chunks/strips. Add these with the mashed potatoes, and pinch of salt and pepper, 3 tbsp plain flour and grated cheddar to the cooked shallot mixture and stir until completely combined.
- Allow to rest until cool enough to handle and then form into 10 croquettes. Add to a lined baking tray and freeze for 30-60 minutes until firm.
- Crack the egg into a shallow bowl and mix well. Add the remaining flour to a plate and season with salt and pepper, then add the panko breadcrumbs to another plate. Coat each croquette in the flour, tap off the excess, then add to the beaten egg and finally roll it into the breadcrumbs firmly to evenly coat all over.
- Heat a wide non stick frying pan (with a matching lid) with 1 inch of vegetable oil. Fry the croquettes in batches for 2-3 minutes on each side until golden brown and crisp. Remove from the oil and drain on a cooling rack over kitchen roll. Alternatively you can place them on a baking tray with a drizzle of oil and bake in an oven preheated to 200C/180 Fan/Gas 6 for 20 minutes. Serve hot with a dollop of cranberry ketchup.
What is Gousto?
Dinner, but not as you know it. Our big red recipe boxes will help you whip up wholesome, impressive meals no matter your skill level, with all of the flavour and none of the fuss.
From everyday favourites and ten minute meals, to global cuisines and healthy choices, you’ll have over 50 recipes to choose from each week from our menu. We’ll send you step-by-step recipes and all the fresh ingredients you need too. Just pick what you fancy for dinner, and leave the planning to us.