Peanut Butter Energy Balls Recipe
You might have heard of these referred to as energy balls or protein balls. Whatever you want to call them, peanut butter protein balls are delicious, quick, and super simple to make at home. They’re a great treat to make in bulk and have ready in case of emergency snacking.
Did we mention they also happen to be super healthy? Win, win!
Homemade Peanut Energy Balls
- 250g dates (soaked in water if dry)
- 50g raw peanuts
- 40g oats
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp almond flour
- a pinch of salt
- 3 heaped tbsp peanut butter
- Roast your peanuts in an oven of 175°c for 15-20 minutes, mixing constantly. If you are using shelled peanuts, roast them for 20-25 minutes and unshell once cooled down
- Pulse the peanuts in a food processor until roughly crushed, then set aside
- Blitz the oats, cocoa powder, almond flour and salt until a rough powder forms, then set aside
- Pulse the dates adding water a tablespoon at a time, until a thick caramel forms. Then add the peanut butter and pulse again
- Add the rough flour mixture to the dates and pulse the mixture, which will form into a rough ball
- Mix the crushed peanuts into the dough in a separate bowl
- Form your protein balls into whatever sizes or shapes you want – we reckon about golf ball sized is perfect for snacking
- Drizzle or dip the energy balls into some some dark chocolate (we recommend using a high quality chocolate with at least 70% cocoa content)
Store the energy balls in the freezer for easy access and long shelf life. They do not freeze into a solid rock, which means you can enjoy them pretty much immediately.
This recipe is just one of thousands of varieties of energy balls you could make – don’t be afraid to get creative with them! Try out nut butters, add spices, more chocolate, different dried fruit. Let us know in the comments below if you discover a magical combination of flavours!