Coconut & Chocolate Snack Bars
Let’s try an old trick (you may well know it already):
Try not to think about a white bear.
Chances are, the moment you read that all you can think about is a white bear. This is how we feel when we’re trying to be healthy. All we can think about are sweets, chocolate, pastries and every other delicious thing we’re not meant to be eating. There’s only so much celery one person can handle!
That’s where these healthy snack bars come in handy. They’re deliciously indulgent, but they’re not bad for you (we promise!). Make a batch or two, pop them in the fridge and treat yourself when that chocolate-craving hour strikes.
You can make your own raw chocolate to drizzle over the bars: melt a thumb-sized piece of cocoa butter, mix in a tablespoon of sweetener of choice and a heaped tablespoon raw cocoa powder. Keep adding the ingredients until you reach a melted chocolate consistency. Would you look at that: New Year and you’re a chocolatier!
Healthy Coconut & Chocolate Snack Bars
Recipe Category: Snack
- 50g desiccated coconut
- 50g coconut flour
- 50 ml tinned coconut milk
- 1 tbsp coconut butter
- 1 lime
- 3 tbsp agave syrup
- Mix the coconut, coconut flour, coconut milk, coconut butter and agave syrup
- Zest the lime into the mixture and mix well
- Pour the mixture onto a sheet of cling film, fold the cling firmly over and flatten it down on top with your fingers
- Shape the mixture into a flat rectangle - this will be cut into bar shapes later on
- Chill the coconut rectangle in the fridge for an hour (or more if possible)
- Melt your chocolate?. Tip: Use a bowl over a pot of boiling water so you don't to burn the chocolate. Alternatively, you can even make your own dark chocolate by mixing melted cocoa butter with raw cocoa powder and sweetener until you reach the desired consistency!
- Remove the coconut rectangle from the fridge and let it sit at room temperature for 10 minutes
- Cut the coconut mixture into whatever shapes you fancy - we've gone with the classic slim rectangle - and cover them in your melted chocolate. Drizzle a little chocolate over the top (that's what we've done), or dip the bars completely, depending on how chocolatey you want your bars to be
The bars can be stored in the fridge for up to a month, or for up to three months in the freezer – though we doubt you’ll be able to wait that long! To beat January blues with some other healthy sweets, why not give our Peanut Butter Energy Balls or Healthy Carrot Cake a go?