Irish Hot Chocolate
Now the clocks have gone back, if you’re in need of something to give you that heady combination of sugar and alcohol to help you through the dark nights this is the drink for you. Hardly a hot chocolate, this is more of a decadent milky chocolate soup with all the extras, including a glug of Bailey’s and another or Amaretto for good measure. Best thing about it? No one need know you’re on the booze, just make sure the kids don’t get hold of it!
You’ll Need (for 2 servings):
- 200 ml whole milk
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 100 g bittersweet chocolate, chopped (just under 1 cup measured)
- splash of vanilla extract, optional
- whipped cream, optional
- marshmallows, optional
- 25ml amaretto
- 25ml baileys
- Combine milk and sugar in a saucepan and place on a medium heat
- Melt the broken chocolate in the microwave for 30 seconds while the milk is heating. Keep heating and stirring the chocolate every 30 seconds until it has fully melted
- Take the milk off the heat when it reaches the scalding point (it will be bubbling on the side), then slowly stir in the melted chocolate
Tip: Be careful to ensure you don’t overheat the milk. Do not let the milk boil, just some bubbles on the side of the pan
- Add the vanilla extract, amaretto and baileys and stir to mix
- Top with whipped cream and marshmallows, and enjoy!
Let us know what you think of this recipe in the comments, and give it a share if you know anyone who needs to give it a try!
If you fancy reading some other recipes with a surprise slug of alcohol, check out our super easy Gin And Tonic Popsicle recipe. Or get your hands on some cheap pumpkins in the post-Halloween lull and make Pumpkin Punch!