How To Cook Perfect Fluffy Quinoa
Want to cook quinoa? You’ve come to the right place.
Cooking quinoa, pronounced KEEN-wah, can seem hard if you’ve never done it before – but it’s really not.
Since we’ve been cooking it a lot recently for our Health Kitchen recipes, it’s now become one of my top superfood swaps. For one, it’s high in plant-based protein compared to pasta or rice, and two, it fills you up for hours!
Here is the foolproof step-by-step method to cook fluffy (not mushy), delicious (not soapy) quinoa. The easy way.
Let's Cook Some Quinoa!
Cook time: 25
Recipe Category: Side Dish
- 1 cup dried uncooked quinoa (any variety — white or golden, red, or black)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Rinse the quinoa, and place it in a fine-mesh strainer. Run it under cold water and remember to rub and swish the grains with your hands to make sure all of them are really well washed.
- TIP: You need to wash the grains really well, because of their natural coating called saponin. This is what makes it taste bitter or soapy when it's cooked.
- Toast your quinoa by heating some oil in a small pan and adding the rinsed quinoa. Toast it for 2 minutes, stirring constantly, to evaporate all the water.
- Add your pre-measured water and bring the saucepan to a boil.
- TIP: For every cup of quinoa, add a cup and three-quarters of water.
- Once it's boiling, turn the heat down to the lowest setting and cover with a lid or plate and leave it to cook on low for 15 minutes.
- When it's cooked, take the pan off the heat and let it stand for 5 minutes.
- TIP: No peeking! Leaving the quinoa covered will give you the fluffiness you’re after.
- Fluff up the quinoa gently with a fork, and serve it any way you like!
How long does quinoa last in the fridge?
You can keep cooked quinoa in the fridge for up to 5 days, so it’s a great option when you’re bulk-cooking on a Sunday. Then use it to make healthier fried “rice,” salads, or have it with curry.
What if meal-prepping isn’t for me?
If batch-cooking healthy recipes is way too much of a chore (we get it, life is busy), you’ll love our Health Kitchen recipes on this week’s menu. You can order a box or subscribe to Gousto and we’ll deliver healthy recipes with all the pre-measured ingredients to your door, any day of the week.
Let me know if you liked this recipe, and what you’d like me to cook next!