How To Make The Perfect Fluffy American-style Pancakes
Whether it’s breakfast time on Shrove Tuesday, dinner during the week or brunch on the weekend there’s never really a bad time to eat pancakes. And our simple pancake recipe will help raise your pancake game to a whole new light and fluffy level.
Baking powder is the secret to get that classic rise for an indulgent weekend breakfast. Go full American style and serve these beauties with lashings of maple syrup and crispy bacon. Or if you’d prefer to really treat your sweet tooth you could always add a little (or a lot) melted chocolate and banana. You could even add a handful of blueberries to your batter before cooking.
Need a gluten-free recipe instead? We’ve got you covered! 3 Tasty Free-From Pancake Recipes
Serves 4 (12 pancakes)
- 200g plain flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 200ml milk
- 1 egg
- 25g of butter, melted (plus extra for cooking)
- Vegetable oil for cooking
- Sieve the flour and baking powder into a mixing bowl then stir in the salt and sugar
- Make a well in the centre, then gradually add the milk, egg and melted butter
- Beat together until you have a smooth pancake batter
- Heat a frying pan over a medium heat with a knob of butter and a drizzle of vegetable oil (let it get nice and hot!)
- Once hot, ladle in the batter (give each pancake plenty of space so they don’t stick together) and cook on the first side until lots of little bubbles appear on the surface, then flip and cook for a minute or two on the other side, until golden brown
- Stack ‘em up and serve with your favourite side!
Starved of topping ideas and in the mood for something a little more virtuous? Our blog on 9 Guilt-free pancake toppings has exactly what you’re looking for! Keen on something a little bit different? We’ve got a recipe for Red Velvet Pancakes that is guaranteed to impress – enjoy!