Hot Cross Bun & Butter Pudding Recipe
This recipe is great for using up leftover hot cross buns and chocolate eggs – if there is such a thing. What’s more, it’s simple, serves six and preparation is pretty much knife-free, making it a great way to get the kids involved in the kitchen.
When you’ve made it once we reckon you’ll be hunting for Easter treats out of season to try it again!
- 6 leftover hot cross buns
- Leftover Easter egg shards
- 400ml cream
- 300ml whole milk
- 5 eggs
- 80g salted butter
- 100g brown sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 170° C/ 150° C fan/ Gas 3
2. Warm the cream and milk in a pan over a gentle heat
3. Whisk the eggs and sugar together with a fork in a large bowl, then gradually add the warm cream mixture
4. Halve the buns, spread with butter and arrange them in a shallow ovenproof dish
5. Pour over the cream mixture and set aside to soak for 15 min
6. Press the buns down into the mixture as they soften so that they absorb as much as possible
7. Poke shards of your leftover Easter eggs down in between the buns
8. Bake for 50 min or until just set with a bit of wobble
9. Allow to cool slightly, then tuck in!
OK, so the idea of leftover chocolate might seem crazy, but with the average child in the UK expected to receive 13 Easter eggs this year – the calorie equivalent of 200 Krispy Kreme donughts – we think it’s fair enough to turn some of that chocolate haul into a fun, family-friendly Easter dessert.
If you’re looking for another idea about how to use up excess Easter chocolate and treats, take a look at our ‘Hoppy Road’ recipe.
Do you have any other tips for how to use up leftovers at Easter? Share your stories and photos in the comments below.