How To Make The Perfect Sweet Potato Fries
At Gousto we love a plate of sweet potato fries and they feature frequently on our menu. Their bright orange interiors and sweet flavour make them a great accompaniment to savoury favourites like this mouthwatering Minted Lamb Burger or this finger-lickin’ Buffalo Chicken.
Are sweet potato fries healthy?
Sweet potato fries seem to be everywhere at the moment, with seemingly half the places you can order fries giving you the option to make the ‘healthy switch’ from regular potato fries to their sweeter cousins. But are sweet potato fries really healthier? The short answer is, sadly, no. While sweet potato is higher and more diverse in nutrients it’s hard to justify any kind of chip as a ‘health food’ (yes, even you kale chips, you don’t fool us!). That said there is nothing wrong (and many, many things right!) with enjoying sweet potato fries in moderation as part of a colourful and varied diet. So add a splash of colour to your plate and get sweet potato fries on the menu this week!
Crispy Baked Sweet Potato Fries
(Serves 2 as a side)
Perfectly seasoned and subtly crisped on the outside, soft and fluffy on the inside this simple recipe will take your baked sweet potato fries to the next level
- Toss the chips in cornflour and oil to make sure the salt sticks evenly. Works for wedges too!
- Feeling a little more creative? Try mixing different spices in the cornflour – smoked paprika with a pinch of cayenne is a firm favourite here. Experiment with other flavour combinations too!
- 3 sweet potatoes
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat your oven to 200C/180C Fan/Gas Mark 6.
2. Put the cornflour into a large bowl and season generously with salt and pepper.
3. Peel the sweet potatoes and slice into 1cm thick chips (any thinner and they will go soggy whilst they cook).
4. Put the fries into the cornflour bowl and mix well until all the fries are evenly covered with a thin layer, take your time this can take up to about a minute. Then add the vegetable oil and toss to coat well.
5. Divide between 2 baking trays, spacing the fries out over the trays. The extra space they have will make them crispier. Drizzle with oil and put in the oven.
6. Bake for 25 minutes, flipping the fries halfway through to ensure they brown evenly.
7. Remove from the oven and serve hot with your favourite condiments.
And voilàa – the perfect sweet potato fries!