How to cook asparagus
Retaining their vibrant green colour and maximum favour with their texture still intact, these three foolproof methods will ensure you achieve perfect tender asparagus every time.
Bend each asparagus near the cut end and they’ll break. Discard the broken ends – they’re too woody to eat. Trim the asparagus to neaten up the ends.
For a super quick and simple technique, try to cook asparagus in a pan:
- Heat a large, wide-based pan with a matching lid over a high heat
- Once hot add the asparagus with a pinch of salt
- Add a splash of water to the pan and cover with a lid
- Cook for 3 min or until the asparagus is tender
For an extra smoky flavour, try cooking asparagus on the grill or in a griddle pan:
- Heat a griddle pan over a high heat
- Brush the asparagus with oil
- Once hot, add the asparagus with a pinch of salt and cook for 5 min, turning occasionally until they’ve tender and charred
For simple goodness, here’s how to steam asparagus:
- Heat a large pan of boiling water
- Pop the asparagus into a steamer with a lid and cook for 4 min or until the asparagus is tender
- To serve: a knob of butter finishes asparagus off nicely, as does a squeeze of lemon and a pinch of salt and pepper