Christmas Spiced Cinnamon Swirls
Did you know that smell is the strongest trigger for memory? That’s why certain combinations of spices smell so nice and nostalgic. These days you can find many Christmas spice mixes in shops, but there’s nothing that matches home-mixed (maybe even home-ground, if you’re adventurous!) spices for your festive dishes.
Christmas spiced Swirls are the perfect way to showcase classic festive flavours without spending much time sweating away in the kitchen, and this recipe is as easy as it gets. Have these for an indulgent Christmas breakfast or a quick festive dessert in the run up to the holiday season.
You will have half of the spice mix leftover – use it in your regular sweet and savoury recipes to add a little bit of Christmas to the flavours – spicing the stuffing for your roast, or making a the Ultimate Christmas Ice Cream Dessert.
Ingredients for 12 swirls:
- 1 sheet ready-made puff pastry
- 50g butter
- 2 tangerines
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1.5 tsp ground cloves
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp allspice
- 3 tbsp icing sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 180°c/ 160°C (fan)/ 350°F/ Gas 4
2. Mix your spices. Zest the tangerines into the spice mix. Melt the butter in a pan over the stove or in a microwave
Tip: Smell the mix – if it doesn’t smell festive enough, add extra spices of choice.
3. Unroll the pastry and spread about 2/3 of the butter onto it. With a sieve, sprinkle sugar evenly over the top, then sprinkle about half of the spice mix
4. Roll the longest edge of the pastry inwards, making sure it’s tight. Brush the final edge with butter to make it stick. Using a sharp knife, slice into 12 even pieces
5. Place on a baking tray and use the remaining butter to brush the tops of the swirls
6. Bake in the oven for 20-30 minutes, or until golden
7. Juice one of the tangerines and mix with icing sugar – this is your glaze
8. Paint the cooked swirls with the glaze and enjoy!
That’s it – easy and delicious! If you to have a go at some other super simple baking recipes, give some of the other recipes on the Gousto blog a go, like our Classic Sticky Toffee Pudding, Butterscotch Chocolate Blondies, or Easy Peanut Butter Cookies.