Gousto’s Christmas Spiced Cinnamon Swirls
Smell is the biggest trigger for memory, and with all the scents and spices flying around over Christmas time it’s no wonder that it’s the most nostalgic time of year for a lot of people. These Cinnamon Swirls will spice up your festive season with a sublime Christmassy smell, enjoy the for dessert or for an indulgent Christmas day breakfast.
After you make these, you’ll have half the spice mix leftover – why not use it in your festive recipes to add a little bit of Christmas to the flavours (it will work in sweet and in savoury) – spicing the stuffing for your roast, or making the Ultimate Christmas Ice Cream Dessert.
Ingredients for 12 swirls:
- 1 sheet ready-made puff pastry
- 50g butter
- 2 tangerines
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1.5 tsp ground cloves
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp allspice
- 3 tbsp icing sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 180°c/ 160°C (fan)/ 350°F/ Gas 4
2. Mix your spices. Zest the tangerines into the spice mix. Melt the butter in a pan over the stove or in a microwave
Tip: Smell the mix – if it’s not bringing you enough Christmas nostalgia, add extra spices of choice.
3. Unroll the pastry and spread about 2/3 of the butter onto it. With a sieve, sprinkle sugar evenly over the top, then sprinkle about half of the spice mix
4. Roll the longest edge of the pastry inwards, making sure it’s tight. Brush the final edge with butter to make it stick. Using a sharp knife, slice into 12 even pieces
5. Place on a baking tray and use the remaining butter to brush the tops of the swirls
6. Bake in the oven for 20-30 minutes, or until golden
7. Juice one of the tangerines and mix with icing sugar – this is your glaze
8. Paint the cooked swirls with the glaze and enjoy!
That’s it – easy and delicious! If you to have a go at some other super simple baking recipes, give some of the other recipes on the Gousto blog a go, like our Classic Sticky Toffee Pudding, Butterscotch Chocolate Blondies, or Easy Peanut Butter Cookies.