Bet you didn’t know your air fryer could do this…
People have been telling me for years that I should buy an air fryer. I never totally understood what the point of them was, like why not just put it in the oven?
But then, I got one, just to see what the hype was about. And OK, I get it now…
There are so many things you can make in them, from homemade crisps and creamy risotto to the ooziest mozzarella sticks. Are you game to join the air fryer revolution? Check out these four baning recipes to start building up your repertoire.
Mexican Chicken Bake With Lime Yoghurt
A Gousto classic that can be easily tweaked to make it perfect for the everyday air fryer chef.
Ingredients (For 2)
- 1 Soy sauce sachet (8ml)
- 1 Lime
- 1 Spring onion
- 2 Medium Sweet potatoes
- 1 Red Pepper
- 2 Red Onions
- 1 Chipotle sauce pot (20g)
- 1 tsp Smoked paprika
- 320g Chicken Thighs
Method (takes 35 – 40 mins)
- Combine the chipotle paste, smoked paprika and soy sauce in a bowl with a drizzle of vegetable oil – this is your marinade
- Add the chicken thighs to the marinade and give everything a good mix up, then set aside for later
- Peel and chop the red onions into wedges
Deseed the red pepper (scrape the seeds and pith out with a teaspoon) and cut into strips. Chop the sweet potatoes into wedges
- Add the chopped vegetables to the air fryer. Sprinkle over the ground cumin
Drizzle with vegetable oil and a generous pinch of salt and give everything a good mix up
- Put the marinated chicken thighs on top of the vegetables in the air fryer.
- Heat the air fryer to 200c for 20 -25 min or until everything is cooked through (no pink meat!) and tender. This is your Mexican chicken tray bake
- Meanwhile, chop the lime in half and combine the juice of 1/2 lime with the natural yoghurt in a small bowl – this is your lime yoghurt. Cut the remaining lime into wedges and trim, then slice the spring onion finely.
- Serve the Mexican chicken tray bake drizzled with the lime yoghurt. Garnish with the chopped spring onion and a lime wedge
Two Mushroom Risotto
Too good to be true? Think again. Let your air fryer do the hard work the next time you’re in the mood for a creamy risotto.
Ingredients (For 2)
- 160g chestnut mushrooms
- 30ml Chinese rice wine sachet
- 1 spring onion
- 5g chives
- 150g portobello mushrooms
- 1 veg stock cube
- 40g cheddar cheese
- 160g arborio rice
- 3 garlic clove
- 40g Cornish clotted cream
Method (Takes 45 – 50 mins)
- Boil a kettle and trim and finely slice the spring onion. Then chop the chives finely and peel and finely chop (or grate) the garlic. Dissolve the veg stock cube in 650ml boiled water
- Add a drizzle of vegetable oil to the air fryer, tear and crumble both the portobello and chestnut mushrooms directly into the air fryer. Cook at 200c for 3-5 min or until starting to brown and caramelise
- Once caramelised, transfer the mushrooms to a bowl and cover to keep warm. Add the sliced spring onion and half of the chopped chives (save the rest for garnish!) with a knob of butter to the air fryer along with the arborio rice, chopped garlic and Chinese rice wine stir to combine.
- Add the vegetable stock and return to the air fryer cook for 30 -35 mins, stirring every 5 minutes until all the stock is absorbed and the rice is cooked – this is your risotto
- Meanwhile, grate the cheddar cheese.
- Once the risotto is cooked, stir in the grated cheese, clotted cream and half of the mushrooms (save the other half for garnish!) Add a little more boiled water if your risotto is too clumpy – a risotto should have an almost porridge-like consistency.
- Season with pepper and serve the risotto in bowls and top with the remaining mushrooms, a sprinkle of the remaining chives and a good grind of black pepper
Rosemary & Sea Salt Crisps
Next time you’re fixing for a packet of crisps, why not try your hand at these? Perfectly seasoned and tooth-rattlingly crunchy, they’re hard to beat.
Ingredients (for 2 servings)
- 1 large potato
- 1 tsp fresh Rosemary
- 1 tsp flakey sea salt
- 1 tbsp Rapeseed oil
Method (Takes 40 mins)
- Peel and thinly slice your potato, either by hand or using a mandolin.
- Soak the potato slices in a bowl of cold water for 20 mins, then drain and pat dry with kitchen paper. Once dry coat the potato slices in the oil, ½ tsp salt and some freshly cracked pepper.
- Lightly coat the air fryer tray with some oil before placing half the potato slices inside. Cook at 180c for 10 -12 minutes shaking occasionally until golden and crisp. Fry in batches.
- Once cooked place the crisps in a large bowl and sprinkle over the remaining salt and dried rosemary.
Mozzarella sticks with tomato dip
If you’re on the fence then these will tip you over. They’re one of the best things to whip up in an air fryer, and they take no time at all.
Ingredients (Makes 8 sticks )
- 8 string cheese sticks
- 2 eggs
- 3 tbsp Plain Flour
- 60g Panko breadcrumbs
- 1 tsp Smoked Paprika
For the dip:
- 1 Tin chopped tomatoes
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
Method (Takes 45 mins )
- Place the cheese sticks in the freezer for 20 minutes beforehand.
- Put the flour, eggs and panko breadcrumbs in 3 separate shallow bowls. Generously season the flour with salt and pepper and mix the smoked paprika through the panko breadcrumbs.
- Dip the cheese sticks first in the flour, then the egg, then the breadcrumbs.Then again into the egg and breadcrumbs for a double coating.
- Arrange the breaded cheese in one layer in the air fryer and cook for 4 mins at 190c.
- For the tomato sauce, put all the ingredients in a food processor and blitz till smooth, add the sauce to a small saucepan and cook on a medium heat for 10 mins, serve warm with the cheese sticks.
What is Gousto?
Dinner, but not as you know it. Our big red recipe boxes will help you whip up wholesome, impressive meals no matter your skill level, with all of the flavour and none of the fuss.
From everyday favourites and ten minute meals, to global cuisines and healthy choices, you’ll have over 50 recipes to choose from each week. We’ll send you step-by-step recipes and all the fresh ingredients you need too. Just pick what you fancy for dinner, and leave the planning to us.