Whether you’re stuck for a homemade present idea or you want to enjoy some delicious chocolate truffles (but without paying through the teeth for the privilege), we have some good news – simple truffles are actually really easy to make! Better still, they look awesome; anyone you give them to will be seriously impressed…if you can resist eating them all yourself.
There really is nothing that can beat a homemade present that actually looks and tastes incredible. You can add a personal touch to your homemade chocolate truffles by customising their appearance – just roll your truffles in a dusty topping of your choice.
We tried out a few different coatings on our chocolate truffles, all with great results:
- Cocoa powder – gives a good classic ‘dusty’ truffle appearance
- Crushed freeze-dried raspberries – beautifully bright and sharp tasting
- Desiccated coconut or icing sugar – a snow-like coating for a festive feel
- Ground almonds – praline flavoured deliciousness
You’ll need (makes 10-15 truffles):
- 100ml double cream
- 40g caster sugar
- 110g dark chocolate, bashed into small pieces
- 25g butter, softened and diced
- cocoa powder or alternative coating
1. Heat the cream and sugar together over a gentle heat until nearly boiling. Meanwhile, add the diced butter and bashed chocolate to a large heatproof bowl
2. Pour the cream and sugar mixture over the chocolate and butter and leave for a couple of minutes, then stir until smooth. Add a pinch of salt and allow to cool, then cover and refrigerate until set (at least 2 hours)
3. Remove the partially hardened mixture from the fridge and use a teaspoon to scoop out truffles, then roll them into balls using your hands
4. Roll the chocolate truffle balls in anything you fancy…cocoa powder, desiccated coconut, icing sugar…have fun!
If the idea of making these chocolate truffles as a gift (or just to scoff for yourself…we wouldn’t blame you!) has you running to the kitchen to get started, take a look at some of the other homemade treat post on the Gousto blog, like our Hot Chocolate On A Stick Recipe or our Popcorn Marshmallow Melts.