How To Make French Toast
Let’s take a minute to give French toast some love. Also affectionately known by the slightly less romantic – but much more accurate – name ‘eggy bread’, the real awesomeness of French toast comes from it working just as well as a sweet breakfast recipe (just try it with chocolate sauce, maple syrup or fresh berries) as it does a savoury dish, with bacon and brown sauce.
Here’s our super easy French toast recipe, which’ll have you making beautifully simple but totally tasty eggy bread in 5 minutes. We’ve added some melted salted caramel chocolate and fresh raspberries to make ours unique, but try out lots of different toppings to find what works best for you!
- 1 egg
- 2 slices of bread
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- a splash of milk
- 50g salted caramel chocolate
- 30g fresh raspberries
1. Beat together the eggs, milk, cinnamon and vanilla extract
2. Soak the bread sliced in your egg mixture (take care not to do this for too long – if the bread becomes soggy it’ll fall apart)
3. Heat a splash of oil in a frying pan on a medium heat
4. Fry the bread on both sides until it starts to crisp and turn a golden brown colour
5. Bash your chocolate with a rolling pin to break it into small pieces, place it in a bowl and heat it in the microwave, removing to stir at 30 second intervals until melted
6. Serve your French toast, topped with the melted chocolate and fresh raspberries
What’s your favourite way to eat French toast? Let us know in the comments!
If you’re looking for breakfast ideas, take a look at some of the other easy breakfast recipes on our blog, like our Healthy Breakfast Muffins, Super Easy Banana Bread Recipe or our Crispy Hash Browns.