How we’re helping one of the busiest food banks as Cost Of Living Crisis bites
Everyone should be able to enjoy tasty, nutritious meals, but today there is an 81% increase in need for emergency food compared to five years ago and we want to help.
We’ve worked with the Trussell Trust a lot over the years, and donated meals to their food bank network. But as the cost of living crisis bites, we need to do more.
We’re working alongside one of the busiest food banks in their network, Hammersmith & Fulham Foodbank, to pilot a test that will update their emergency food parcels into healthy meal kits for that area.
The pilot will run in the Hammersmith & Fulham Borough for 12 weeks, with the exciting ambition that the learnings will help inform the approach of emergency food providers across the country.
This trial will swap standard food parcels with fresh ingredients and healthy Gousto recipes, enough for breakfast, lunch and dinner – encouraging more people to enjoy the benefits of nutritious home-cooked meals.
How we’re involved
- We’re co-funding the trial in Hammersmith and Fulham, working directly with the food bank to help them set the pilot up in their area
- Our nutritionist Ellie Bain has designed meal kits chock-full of wholesome ingredients, nutritional advice, and tailored recipes by the Gousto chefs
- We hosted an open day at one of our fulfilment centres, advising the team on how to safely pack and deliver fresh ingredients while minimising food waste
What’s in the meal kits?
Here are some of the delicious, wholesome dishes our pilot testers will be serving up in the Hammersmith & Fulham borough.
- Fruity Moroccan-Style Chickpea Stew with Couscous
- Creamy White Bean & Triple Green Tortiglioni
- Chilli Lime Sweet Potato & Rice Salad
- Three-Veg Miso & Sesame Ramen With Egg
- And lots more.
How healthy are the new meal kits?
We’re pleased to share that each recipe will have at least two of your five-a-day. Our chefs have worked hard to include a delicious balance of wholegrains and healthy fats too, like nuts, seeds, eggs and avocados.
None of the recipes take more than 30 minutes to cook. And to save on energy, all the recipes are super easy to make and can be cooked without an oven. Food bank customers can look forward to a delicious variety of colourful, fresh, veg-packed meals from over nine different global cuisines too.
Can you help?
Due to the cost-of-living crisis, the need for emergency food has increased by 29% compared to last year. Your donations could help people facing hardship.
If you’d like to, you can donate directly to Hammersmith & Fulham Foodbank here.