Gousto Fried Chicken, Lockdown Style
Along with everything we’re all missing from the “real” world, the foods from our favourite fast-food chains is right up there. So we’ve created Gousto’s take on the perfect fried chicken to tide you over during lockdown. So without further ado here are our ultimate GFC recipes…
Ingredients: Serves two
- 1 egg
- 3 tbsp milk
- 1kg chicken drumsticks
- 1.5 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp salt
- 150g plain flour
- 45g cornflour
1. Add the dry ingredients to a tray and stir to combine. In a separate bowl whisk together the egg and milk.
2. Toss the chicken with the spiced flour mixture, then coat them in the egg and milk mixture and then return them to the flour tray.
3. Once all your chicken has been coated with the egg, drizzle around 1 tbsp leftover egg mixture into the flour to create little clusters that will stick to the chicken and get extra crispy when frying. Then, using clean hands make sure that all the drumsticks are covered with the spiced flour.
4. Heat a large, deep pan with about 7-10cm of oil, over a medium-high heat until it registers between 175-190C or until a small scrap of bread dropped in bubbles and rises to the surface.
5. Gently add the drumsticks to the hot oil, being careful to place them away from you so the oil doesn’t splash you. You want them in a single layer, so cook them in batches.
6. Fry for 10 minutes, cooking until golden brown and crispy, and cooked all the way through – no pink meat!
My top tip: To make the skin extra crispy, drain on a wire rack over a tray lined with kitchen paper for a few minutes to allow the excess oil to drain off. And if you are cooking in batches, place the tray (without the kitchen roll!) in a low heat oven to keep warm.
Ultimate GFC Gravy
- 1 Kallo chicken stock cube
- 2 tsp marmite
- 2 tbsp fried chicken drippings or olive oil
- 2 tbsp flour
1. Dissolve the stock cube and marmite in 450ml boiled water.
2. Add fried chicken drippings to a pot over a medium heat. Once hot, add 2 tbsp flour and cook for 30 secs until a sandy paste has formed.
3. Add stock to the pan and simmer for 4-5 min, stirring occasionally, until thickened to a gravy-like consistency.
My top tip: Freezing the leftover drippings in a lidded container means that they are ready to scoop and use whenever you want, adding a spicy umami kick to your gravy.
Chicken Fillet Burger
Ingredients Serves 2
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp ground coriander
- Generous pinch salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 25g plain flour
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- 1 tbsp mayonnaise – this replaces the egg in traditional recipes as it cuts down on food waste as you only need a little
- 1 tbsp milk
- oil to fry
- Lettuce, mayonnaise and a soft white roll to serve
1. Place the chicken breasts between 2 pieces of cling film and, using a rolling pin, bash until an even thickness – this will help it cook evenly.
2. Add the dry ingredients to a tray and stir to combine. Then, in a separate bowl whisk together the mayo and milk.
3. Toss the chicken in with the spiced flour mixture then coat them in the mayo mixture and return them to the flour tray. Make sure everything is covered with the spiced flour.
4. Heat a large, wide-based pan (preferably non-stick) with about a 1cm layer of oil, over a medium-high heat until it registers between 175-190C or until a small scrap of bread dropped in bubbles and rises to the surface.
5. Once hot, add the coated chicken breast and cook for 5-7 min on each side or until the chicken is crispy and cooked through.
6. Slather the bottom of the bun with a generous layer of mayonnaise then top with lettuce and the crispy southern fried chicken fillet and the top of the bun. Enjoy hot.
If you’re looking for ingredients to make these delicious GFC recipes without going to the shops, use the Food Finder directory for local small businesses still delivering in your area. https://foodfinderapp.co.uk/