You can feel the love for avocados the world over. Their benefits for hair, skin, eyes, nails and general all-round human brilliance and beauty are staggering. They’re potent aphrodisiacs too… what better way to start a Valentine’s feast?
Buying these ‘alligator pears’ can be problematic. They’ve often rock hard or past it; neither ripe nor ready. When you want avocado and you WANT IT NOW, try baking them.
Here, we’ve topped them with Italian pizza classics for the melt factor – the perfect, hands-on starter for two.
Pesto and mozzarella baked avocado Valentine’s starter
- 2 avocados, halved, peeled and stoned
- half a ball of mozzarella
- 100ml good tomato sauce
- 2 tbsp blanched almonds
- a handful of fresh basil leaves
- 50g Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- 100ml olive oil
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C/ 350F /Gas 4
- Whiz up all the pesto ingredients, seasoning generously
- Spoon the tomato sauce into a small, ovenproof dish
- Place the avocado halves on top, along with the mozzarella and pesto
- Bake for 15 minutes until the cheese is bubbling
- Leave to cool slightly before serving