Bubble and Squeak!
Our favourite way to use up root vegetables and leftover mashed potato. Serve these little patty cakes with a fried egg, sausages or leftover meats.
The recipe below is just a guideline, but you can use whatever leftover veg you have spare. We encourage you to play around
Ingredients to serve 2:
- 1 carrot or equivalent amount of butternut squash, peeled and roughly chopped
- 200g celeriac, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 large potato, roughly chopped (or leftover mash)
- 2 handfuls chopped cabbage or kale
- 1 leek, thinly sliced
- butter for cooking
- Boil the carrot, potato and cabbage in a big pan of salty water for 15mins, then leave to cool
- Sweat the leek in butter for 10mins to soften
- Mash the boiled veg roughly with a fork, season. Add the sweated leeks
- Using wet hands, mould the mixture into 4 patty cakes
- Fry in butter until crispy on both sides!
This is a fresher, cleaner tasting slaw than the rubbish you get in supermarkets. Invest in a mandolin for perfect matchsticks, or just use a grater…
Ingredients for 2:
- 1/4 red cabbage, stalk removed and shredded
- 1 apple, de-cored and shredded
- 1 carrot, peeled and shredded
- 3 spring onions, sliced finely
- a handful of mint leaves, shredded
- a handful of dill, chopped
- the juice of one lemon
- a tbsp of mayonnaise
- a tbsp olive oil
- Combine the cabbage, apple, carrot and spring onions in a mixing bowl. Mix with lemon juice and seasoning
- Combine the mayonnaise with olive oil, and mix through
- Mix through the chopped herbs and serve immediately!