It’s Thrifty Thursday again, the day we cook up and eat all our week’s leftovers! It really is the offices favourite day!
This week our cunning chefs rustled up this fantastic little dish, which (like Nicolas Cage) was gone in 60 seconds
Fennel & tomato gratin
For the gratin
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 heads of fennel, trimmed (Tips kept and cut into thin wedges)
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
For the topping
- 85g Breadcrumbs
- 50g parmesan, grated
- handful fennel fronds
- zest 1 lemon
- handful black olive, pitted, chopped
- Heat 2 tbsp of the olive oil in a saucepan, when ready add the fennel then cover and stew on a low heat for 15 mins.
- Add the chopped garlic and continue to cook for another 10-20 minutes, until the fennel is soft.
- Then, add the tomatoes, uncover the pot and simmer for 10 mins, until the fennel is coated in a lovely thick tomato sauce.
- Heat oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas 4.
- Tip the saucepot contents into a shallow gratin dish and Scatter the bread crumbs, fennel tips, chopped olives, lemon zest and parmesan over the fennel, drizzle with the last of the oil, then bake for 20 minutes until golden.
Pretty easy, And rather lovely too!
If you want to ‘luxe’ this dish up a bit, why not add a little mozzarella to the topping. Let’s be honest, more cheese is always good!
If you give it a go, why not let us know? Send a picture to our twitter page and we’ll repost the best!