Linguine with Artichoke Hearts, Courgette Purée and Capers
Vegetable pasta with a sophisticated twist! We’ve mixed creamy (and naturally fat free) puréed courgette with tender artichoke, capers and fresh herbs for a deliciously unusual pasta sauce. All the contrasting flavours of the ingredients blend together for a balance of acidity and freshness.
Artichokes have been cultivated since the time of the ancient Greeks, who called them kaktos. They were introduced to England by the Dutch and became so popular that famous food lover Henry VIII had them growing in his personal vegetable garden.
Ingredients for 2 (for 4):
- 200g (400g) linguine
- 1 (2) tin of artichoke hearts
- 1 tbsp (2 tbsp) capers
- 1 (2) courgette
- 1 (2) medium onion,
- 1 (2) garlic clove
- 1 (1) vegetable stock cube
- 1 tsp (2 tsp) dried oregano
- 10g (20g) fresh parsley
- 30g (60g) rennet-free parmesan
Special equipment: (stick) blender
You need salt, pepper, olive oil
Instructions for 2 (for 4)
- Boil a kettle (used in steps 4 & 5).
- Slice the courgette(s) finely Drain the artichoke hearts and chop into quarters. Peel the onion(s) and chop coarsely.
- Crush the garlic with the side of a knife, peel it and chop finely. Chop the parsley finely. Grate the parmesan (used in step 8).
- Dissolve half the (whole) vegetable stock cube in 100ml (200ml) of boiling water (used in step 6).
- Cook the courgette in a pot of boiling water for 2 min. Remove the courgette and place in a blender or bowl, leaving the water in the pot. Cook the pasta in the courgette pot with salt (optional) for 8-10 min or until the pasta is cooked to your taste, stirring occasionally, then drain.
- Meanwhile, combine the stock, dried oregano and courgette us- ing a (stick) blender for a smooth purée. Add 1-2 tbsp of olive oil to a large pan on a medium heat. Once the oil is hot, add the onion and cook for 3 min or until soft. Add the garlic and cook for 1 min.
- Add the purée and parsley to the pan and cook for 1 min, stirring constantly. Add the artichoke hearts and capers, mix well and cook for 2 min or until all the ingredients are hot through. Add the pasta to the sauce and toss well.
- Season to your taste with salt and pepper. Plate the pasta and sprinkle the parmesan on top. Enjoy!